Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Organised Days

Bought myself a new timer from Officeworks today.

I have applied the '1 in/1 out' rule - I have a new digital timer with all the bells & whistles (1 in) and Mum will now inherit my egg timer so she can make Greek Coffee without over boiling & spilling it (1 out).

If the family thought I was anal before - you should have seen the look on their faces when I proudly displayed my new toy!!!

We all fear the unknown, they just happen to fear how they could co-exist with my new digital friend - LOL.

In order to ensure the longevity & well-being of my time-keeper, I had to convince them BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT (imaginary &/or real) that they would NOT be answering to any beeping demands.

No, the real reason for my purchase is that I am trying to better organise my days.
I know what it is that I need to do, I know the order in which I need to do things and I also have set routines. What I don't know is how long do my routine tasks take? Where do I lose time? Where can I make up time? What tasks are counter-productive and how long do they really consume?

So, I have decided to track all my activities and estimate how long it will take to complete each and every task for 1 week.

Week 2, I will actually time these activities and compare against my estimates - wonder how many surprises I will get?

At the end of this excercise, I will be able to identify:
exactly how long each activity takes to complete
which tasks I could group together in order to streamline & save time
which tasks can easily be outsourced (darling children & hubby won't like these ones)
how much time I actually have left for ME!

'ME' time is very important for me. Not only because I get to pamper myself (something that I have almost forgotten how to do), but because it means I can give more of me to my family.

I will be able to be a relaxed taxi-driver for my son from soccer to movies to friends, catch up on girl gossip with my daughter whilst enjoying her love of the cafe culture, watch TV with hubby without a nervous twitch, have coffee with my mum & dad without rushing, visit my sister and my adorable nieces whilst totally oblivious to housework, prepare a fun dinner with my brother........

ME time is Quality time.

How do YOU account for your time?

Are you doing all the things you want to be doing?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your point on knowing what you need to do, and in which order, just mis-guiding how long each task is going to take is such a practical problem that I think a lot of people over look. It will defiantly be something I keep in mind in the near future.
Keep at it mum, your doing great!

Anonymous said...

After reading your blog i was shocked by how much time i obliviously waste from day to day...
By the end of the week the list of 'things' that i never had time to address seems to grown to an impossible number..and there goes my weekend rushing around like a mad women making up for lost time!
I think it is definetly a time efficient and effective option to allocate time slots to include everything into your day... and for once enjoy the weekend.
Thanks Sany, great blog!! You have without a doubt got me thinking and being proactive about my organisation... Looking forward to reading more!

SAN-y-T said...

Lis,
That's the whole idea of this blog... relating to these problems and finding individual solutions. Thanks for the encouraging words!

Elle,
Don't sweat the small stuff, get the most important things done first. Minor or not-so-important things can always be re-allocated to a time that suits or is less stressful.

Stay tuned as I will be posting some of my own productivity hacks.

Frozen Cherry Trees

Frozen Cherry Trees
Inspirational